market has been largely driven by the launch of new drug categories such as Anti-TB drugs and improved healthcare access: Ken Research
• India’s emergence as a global hub of generic medicines and vaccine supplier has contributed highly towards the growth of the pediatric drugs and vaccines market.
• The pediatric market for drugs and vaccines has increased in terms of value from FY’2011 to FY’2016 at a CAGR of 18.1% in between the period.
Ken Research announced its latest publication on “India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccines Market – Rise in prevalence of chronic diseases and inclusion of several new vaccines in national immunization programme to Shape Future Growth” which provides a comprehensive analysis of the pediatric drugs and vaccines market in India and covers market size and segmentation of overall market by drugs and vaccines. The report covers the further segmentations of different spaces such as Drugs and Vaccines into sub segments based on their individual characteristics. The sub segments of drugs (Patented and Generic, Treatment and Management, By Drug Classes, Prescription and OTC, Online and Offline) are then considered separately and analysis on them has been done individually. Similarly, the sub segments of vaccines (Monovalent and Multivalent, By Technology, and By Indication) have also been considered and market analysis on these entire segments is explained in detail in the study. The report also covers detailed profiles of leading players in the different sub segments in the market. The potential and future outlook has been individually discussed for India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccines market. The report provides detailed analysis of segments, trends & developments, growth drivers and major restraints and challenges within the industry. The report also serves as a benchmark for existing players and for new players who wish to capitalize on the market potential and investors who are looking forward to venture into pediatric drugs and vaccines market in India.
Almost all pharmaceutical companies operating in the country had expertise in developing generic drugs so as to cater to the underprivileged populations at a much cheaper price. Generic drug therefore comprised a vast majority of the market share as of FY’2016 as compared to patented drugs.
India has a huge disease burden and a large part of drugs sold in the country was meant for the treatment of several infectious and non-infectious diseases prevalent in the pediatric population. Pediatric drugs were most commonly used for diarrheal diseases such as cholera and viral gastroenteritis. Respiratory diseases including pneumonia and tuberculosis were other commonly treatable conditions for which drugs found extensive usage in the country. Drugs sold for purpose of treatment of diseases accounted for maximum market share as of FY’2016. Owing to less prevalence of lifestyle diseases amongst pediatric population, market share of drugs meant for management of diseases has been low. Drugs meant for management of diseases were typically chronic diseases, particularly degenerative non-communicable diseases (NCDs) such as chronic respiratory diseases, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, HIV/AIDS and diabetes amongst others.
Anti-infectives were the most frequently prescribed drug class by pediatricians, with over 80% of the prescriptions had some form of prescribed antibiotics. This was due to wide scale prevalence of respiratory diseases among children. Anti-infectives accounted for the largest market share as of FY’2016 as compared to anti-histamines, cardiovascular drugs and all other categories of drugs.
The market for pediatric drugs and vaccines was largely driven by drug manufacturing companies, owing to availability of large portfolio of drugs for treatment of several diseases as compared to a limited number of vaccines for prevention of some infectious diseases. High efficacy of vaccines has ensured prevention against diseases by virtue of few doses of vaccines. On the other hand, repeated incidence of some or the other non-vaccine preventable medical conditions coupled with comparatively heavy requirement of drug doses have resulted in a far greater usage of drugs. Sun Pharmaceuticals, Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Cipla, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories and Abbott were some of the major companies operating in the drug space amongst others. Some of the leading vaccine manufacturers included Serum Institute of India, Panace Biotec, Bharat Biotech, GSK India and Biological E Limited amongst others.
“Strong government support to transform India into a global leader in end-to-end manufacturing, expected rise in sale of flavored TB and antiretroviral drugs and increasing prevalence of diabetes and asthma in pediatric population are the major factors which are expected to drive the growth of India pediatric drugs and vaccines market in future. With promising growth prospects, the industry has created numerous opportunities for every stakeholder in the pharmaceutical ecosystem.”, according to the Research Analyst, Ken Research.
Key Topics Covered in the Report:
• Value Chain Analysis of India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccine Market
• India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccine Market by Value, FY’2011-FY’2016
• India Pediatric Drugs Market Introduction and Size, FY’2011-FY’2016
• India Pediatric Drugs Market Segmentation By Product Type (Patented and Generic), by Usage (Treatment and Management), by Drug Classes (Anti-infectives, Antihistamines, Cardiovascular drugs and Others), by Procurement Method (Prescription and OTC), by Distribution Channel (Offline and Online), FY’2016
• Competitive Landscape of Major Players in India Pediatric Drugs Market
• India Pediatric Drugs Future Market Outlook, FY’2017-FY’2021
• India Pediatric Vaccines Market introduction and Size, FY’2011-FY’2016
• India Pediatric Vaccines Market Segmentation by Vaccine Type (Monovalent and Multivalent), by Technology (Live or attenuated, Killed or inactivated, Toxoid, Conjugate, Subunit and Others), by Indication (Polio, MMR, DTP, Hepatitis B, Influenza, BCG and Others), FY’2016
• Competitive Landscape of Major Players in India Pediatric Vaccines Market
• Pipeline Analysis of Global and India Pediatric Vaccine Market
• India Pediatric Vaccines Future Market Outlook, FY’2017-FY’2021
• Porter Five Forces Analysis in India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccines Market
• Issues and Challenges in India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccines Market
• Government Regulations in India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccines Market
• Analyst Recommendations
• Macro Economic Factors impacting India Pediatric Drugs and Vaccines Market, 2011-2021